Saturday, February 21, 2009

Great Books that Matter to Me

Over the years I have read some excellent books on a range of topics - everything from leadership, the future, technology, secret of happiness, the meaning of life and so on. Some of the books I've read have been duds but every now and again you come across a real gem. Along the way I have kept a journal of the most interesting and important insights from the very best books. These books have changed the way I think, changed the way I act and changed the way I plan for the future. Maybe you will agree, maybe not. Either way let me know.

In my last post, I mentioned the amazing book by Randy Pausch, called The Last Lecture.
You can't get more real about life, when you know you're going to die in a few months! These are the gems that I gleaned from his book. These notes were made by me on 18 April, 2008 before Pausch's death. The section that I enjoyed the most was titled:
How to Live Your Life.

  • Dream big - let your mind soar to what might be rather than what is
  • Don't complain, just work harder - a real lesson here, what's the point of complaining? I was reminded of George Bernard Shaw's creed (1856 - 1950) in this section, it's a creed that I like to live by. For those of you who don't know it, here it is:

This is the true joy in life. The being used for a purpose recognised by yourself as a mighty one. The being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die - for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me - it is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

  • Treat the disease, not the symptom - how often do we get sidetracked by trying to sort out all of our problems, without getting to the heart of what causes these problems and doing something that matters most, where it counts.
  • Don't obsess over what people think - I wish generation X, Y and Z would take themselves less seriously when it comes to their appearance. Most of us get caught up in this trap in our teenage - twenty something years, but by the time we get to middle age, we realise that 'substance is more important than beauty'. In the long run, a person's character and integrity counts for much more than the perfect face or body.
  • Look for the best in everybody - impossible you think? Just do it!
  • If at first you don't succeed - so much has been written about this topic but Pausch's take on it is worth noting:

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Remember a previous post of mine about 'deliberate practice'? No one is born with gifts that promise a successful future and life. If we practise our given talents though, over many years of deliberate practice, then everyone with this kind of commitment can succeed in life.

Whether you think you can or can't, you're right. No getting away from that old story of the 'self-fulfilling prophecy'. With belief in yourself, and dedication and commitment you can and will succeed. Trust me on this one.

Pausch quotes: Brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop other people. And this classic: not all fairytales end smoothly. Isn't that the truth!

  • Be the first penguin - I love this line!!! Try to be the very first jumping off into unknown territory. Takes courage to be the first and to be the leader but it's worth it. I know that being at the cutting edge can sometimes feel like being at the 'bleeding edge' but it's exciting to be out there!

Pausch also shares some homespun philosophy and old world etiquette:

  • send handwritten thank you notes
  • send out thin mints (or minties or other small treats)
  • tell the truth
  • get in touch with your crayon box (all the colours of the rainbow are there for the taking)
  • no job is beneath you
  • know where you are
  • never give up
  • 'you can always change your plan, but only if you have one!'
  • time must be explicitly managed, like money
  • develop a good filing system
  • delegate
  • take a time out
  • ask yourself: are you spending your time on the right thing?

Hope you find these insights as valuable as I did. Maybe it will prompt you to read the book or listen to his lecture. See the link on my sidebar. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment